Former Ohio State quarterback and current ESPN broadcaster Kirk Herbstreit, author of Out of the Pocket, shares his youth sports journey and insights on what volunteer coaches and parents of young athletes should focus on
Stanford’s Ashten Prechtel and Hannah Jump on managing stress, competing with confidence, being supportive teammates, and more – lessons they shared all summer long working with youth at a Bay Area Skyhawks Sports Academy
An Eastern Kentucky city banned scorekeeping and championship tournaments for its T-ball league and imposed a zero tolerance policy for verbal assaults after adults fought during a game.
The Stanton Parks and Recreation Board on Tuesday announced the new changes for the city’s T-ball games for 5- and 6-year-old players. No changes were announced for other youth baseball programs. The new policies were adopted because an argument between coaches and game officials turned into a physical altercation in the middle of the field during the tournament finale.
Videos from the game appeared to show coaches from both teams get into an argument. One coach appeared to throw his hat down before another man came onto the field, started shoving people, and took his shirt off.
Additional videos showed more adults joined in the altercation. There was a loud argument with spectators. A coach later said on Facebook that the dispute started over a bad call.
The former president of a youth football league in Virginia has been charged with embezzling $7,500 from the team's accounts.
The 46-year-old turned himself over to authorities and was charged with two felony warrants of embezzlement, the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office said in a news release.
The sheriff's office said league officials discovered irregularities in the financial records earlier this year. After an investigation conducted by the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Financial Crimes Unit, it was determined the man wrote checks for personal expenditures from the league’s accounts in 2019 totaling approximately $7,500, the release said.
A former youth sports coach in Pennsylvania is accused of sending inappropriate photographs and texts to a teenage female athlete.
The 40-year-old was formally charged after he turned himself in.
The former youth coach is accused of sending two photos of his genitalia along with a string of lewd text messages to a minor female. He faces two felony counts of disseminating explicit sexual material to a minor and one felony count of unlawful contact with a minor.
The victim, a girl under 18 who is not identified in the criminal complaint, said she knew the man from playing AAU basketball, detectives said in the arrest affidavit.
She told investigators she began exchanging texts with him earlier in November and there was nothing concerning until the evening of Nov. 17 “when it began to get weird,” the affidavit said.
After she received the photos and the lewd messages, she stopped all contact with him, even as he continued to text her, she told detectives.
In allegations that go back more than two decades, a Springfield, Missouri man is accused of sexually abusing at least six girls as young as 9 or 10 years of age.
The 52-year-old faces 10 counts of sexual assaults including child molestation, statutory sodomy and statutory rape.
He was a youth basketball coach during much of the time of the alleged incidents.
Investigators interviewing women who alleged the assaults when they were juveniles were told the accused would fondle or assault them when left alone by the girls’ parents for brief times and would later contrive to be alone with the girls when he would rape or sexually assault them in vacant houses or in automobiles, according to court documents.
The individual, who also has prior felony convictions for burglary and stealing, could face sentences up to life in prison if convicted of the charges.
A youth basketball coach in Maryland was arrested for arranging to pay for sex with a minor, police said.
The 44-year-old, who is an Amateur Athletic Association youth boys basketball coach, had posted an ad on Craigslist under the name “Oscar” and was looking for “a local young lady,” police said. An undercover female officer posed as a 15-year-old and responded to the ad.
According to police, the officer told the man that she was underage and while he was "concerned about her age," he continued communicating with her and arranged to meet in person. He wanted to regularly have sex with her and offered to pay $100 for each encounter.
A meeting was arranged and he was arrested when he arrived for the scheduled meeting.
He has been charged with sexual solicitation of a minor and was released on a $10,000 bond.
The Press Box is a weekly e-newsletter bringing you the latest news stories in youth sports, research on youth athlete safety and wellness, and more. Stories are carefully curated to bring subscribers only the best quality content and news.